Skip to main content Skip to main navigation menu Skip to site footer

Safety and efficacy holmium laser lithotripsy for bladder stones: Initial experience at a single center in Koja General Hospital


Introduction: Bladder stones, a common urological condition, can significantly impact a patient's quality of life, leading to symptoms such as obstructive lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and hematuria. In recent years, the utilization of laser lithotripsy has emerged as a promising technique for the removal of bladder stones, offering potential advantages in terms of efficacy and safety.

Methods: Data obtained from the medical record was collected retrospectively since the use of laser lithotripsy in 2019. Patients who fulfilled the inclusion and exclusion criteria were included. Data on patients’ age, sex, symptoms, maximum stone diameter, operation duration, complications, and length of in-hospital duration were gathered and analyzed. The primary endpoint was to assess the stone size being successfully removed and procedure duration.

Results: We recruited 46 participants (40 men and 6 women) with a mean age of 55.5 years old. In 18 (39%) participants, obstructive LUTS was the main presenting symptom, followed by hematuria in 9 (19%) patients. In 10 (28%) of cases, work-up was done by plain abdominal x-ray, while the remaining 36 (72%) underwent CT-scan. The mean surgery duration was 57.2 ± 22.3 minutes. Out of subjects, 3 (6.5%) experienced hematuria as a side effect while 1 (2.1%) patient had a fever.

Conclusion: Our data demonstrated a safe and effective result of laser lithotripsy used for bladder stones removal. More research is warranted to compare the current modality applied  in Indonesia general hospitals along with cost analysis to provide the best treatment option for the patients.


  1. Skolarikos A., Jung H., Neisius A., Petřík A., Somani B., Tailly T., Gambaro G. EAU Guidelines on Urolithiasis. 2023. [(accessed on 4 May 2023)]. Available online:
  2. Abshari F, Ali Z. Management of bladder stone with holmium-YAG laser at kardinal hospital Tegal. Indonesian Journal of Urology. 2020;27(1):1-4.
  3. Liu Y, Chen Y, Liao B, Luo D, Wang K, Li H, et al. Epidemiology of urolithiasis in Asia. Asian Journal of Urology. 2018;5(4):205–14.
  4. Fried NM, Irby PB. Advances in laser technology and fiber-optic delivery systems in lithotripsy. Nat Rev Urol. 2018;15(9):563–73.
  5. Garg M, Kumar M, Goel A, Sankhwar SN. Application of the holmium laser lithotripsy for bladder stones under local anaesthesia: A prospective analysis. Urologia Journal. 2015;82(4):219–22.
  6. Kara C, Resorlu B, Cicekbilek I, Unsal A. Transurethral cystolithotripsy with holmium laser under local anesthesia in selected patients. Urology. 2009;74(5):1000–3.
  7. Abedi AR, Razzaghi MR, Allameh F, Aliakbari F, FallahKarkan M, Ranjbar A. Pneumatic lithotripsy versus laser lithotripsy for ureteral stones. J Lasers Med Sci. 2018;9(4):233–6.
  8. Kamadjou C, Kameni A, Moby H, Kolela DB, Mbassi A, Angwafor F. Endoscopic management of bladder stones: Initial experience at a single center in Cameroon. Open Journal of Urology. 2022;12(05):276–85.
  9. Sajid MT, Ameen M, Murtaza B, Alvi MS, Khan Z, Kiani F. Comparison of mean operative time in patients undergoing Ho: YAG laser lithotripsy and pneumatic lithotripsy in ureterorenoscopy for ureteric calculus. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2021;37(2):415-20.
  10. Atılgan D, Kölükçü E, Fırat F, Kölükçü V. Efficacy and safety of holmium laser lithotripsy under local anesthesia in the treatment of urethral stones in elderly male patients. Healthcare. 2020;8(2):150.

How to Cite

Wijaya J, R., Hariwibowo, R., Sutarto, W. E. ., & Akbar, N. (2024). Safety and efficacy holmium laser lithotripsy for bladder stones: Initial experience at a single center in Koja General Hospital. Bali Medical Journal, 13(1), 930–932.




Search Panel